BISSELL Proheat Essential Carpet Cleaner and Carpet Shampooer, 1887 reviews
Bissell Proheat Essential 1887 is a full-size upright carpet cleaner designed for the residential use of cleaning carpets, upholstery, and stairs. This model is one of Bissell classic upright carpet cleaning machine.
The best part of this model is that it performs well on carpeted surfaces and it has a long warranty time (3 years) compared to rivals (normally 1-2 years).
It features a decent motor power (6 amps rating), an intense brushroll of 6 rows for maximal scrubbing activities with 2 edge sweepers, a dual water tank (1 Gallon) that store dirty water and clean water in the same tank and separate them with a bladder.
It comes as a nearly complete unit with minimal assembly therefore if you are looking for a carpet cleaner for seniors at the low-to-mid price range, it might be one of the best matches.
Check for the technologies and benefits of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887 below.
Technologies and benefits of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887 model
Construction: a full-size upright carpet cleaners with strong brushing activities and durable, suitable for medium size apartments, home with seniors.
Decent cleaning capacity
- This unit uses a 6 amps rating motor which is quite similar to other Bissell upright units such as Bissell Proheat series, Bissell Powerbrush series.
- The combination of this motor power with an intensive brush head activities (6 brush rows) and 2 edge sweepers allows you to scrub, lift and remove the dirt out of carpet effortlessly.
Designed to deal with tough stains
- This model has a spraying crevice tool plus on board tough stain tool which is very handy for you to deal with set-on stains while cleaning the floor carpets and upholstery.
Medium size water tank
- The model has 1 Gallon water tank which is quite similar to many others, but this water tank type is a dual water tank which stores both dirty and clean water in the same tank with a bladder to separate them. This water tank is a classic design (it is a bit messy if you do not know how to clean it at the first time. If you need a model with 2 water tanks design, let’s check for Bissell Proheat 2X models such as 1948, 1986)
- This model is capable of using hot water and it will keep the water warm for cleaning better
Tool: tough stain tool, crevice tool, spraying tool and stair tool.
Specifications of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887
- Dimensions: 11.5 x 12 x 43 inches
- Weight: 19.75 lbs.
- Warranty: 3 years
- Power Rating: 6 amps
- Power Source: Corded
- Heater: No
- Heatwave Technology: Yes
- Brush System: 6 Row DirtLifter PowerBrush
- Brush On/Off Switch: No
- Surround Suction: No
- Power Cord Length: 22′
- Hose Length: 7′
- Surface Type: Carpet, Upholstery, Stairs, Low Pile Carpet
- Cleaning Path Width: 11″
- Tank Capacity: 1 gallon
- Edge Sweep Brushes: Yes
- Custom Clean: No
Performance of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887
Pros and cons of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887
Bissell Proheat Essential 1887 is a ready-to-use unit with less maintenance and durable. Its price is also affordable (low-to-mid price range) and quite efficient when cleaning low pile carpet. The brush has powerful scrubbing activities therefore it can deal with embedded stains and it has a spraying tool and on board tools which are very handy.
This model is heavy and it does not have 2 water tank design, therefore, you should consider these factors before buying. Besides, the unit is also not the best carpet cleaner for pet owners at the moment. The brush head profile is a bit high therefore it might be unable to clean under kitchen cabinets.
- Recommendation for residential use. This model is suitable for medium footage home with low pile carpet, seniors who do not care about machine maintenance and advanced features. It is suitable for users who are looking for a durable machine at the good price.
- Against for home with stairs, corners and a lot of pets because it is quite heavy to maneuver around and the high profile will limit your cleaning under furniture.
FAQs & troubleshooting of Bissell Proheat Essential 1887
What temperature does the heatwave technology maintain the water at? I need to kill any bed bugs in the carpet.
Answer: this machine is not designed to kill bed bugs. You may want to contact a professional for dealing with bed bugs.
Question: Does this come with any type of warranty?
Answer: this cleaner comes with a 3 year warranty.
Question: What cleaning solution would you recommend for this? Have some stubborn stains on carpet from previous owners. Don’t know how old the stains are.
Answer: we add vinagar to the bissell solution. if the stain is still there, try the original liquid dawn (turquoise) and just make sure you rinse well. that dawn can be used to get stains out of clothing as well. remember it was used on ducks when there was an oil spill.
Question: Machine not sucking up water from catpet
Answer: Make sure vacuum lid closed, and clean. Other thing is it is full, empty water
Question: How big in the attachment for upholstery? I need to clean them all not only spot clean..
Answer: Not big enough
Question: Is it true that if you buy a machine on Amazon; that the manufacturer voids the warranty?
Answer: the warranty is valid with any new machines purchase direct from Amazon.
Question: Can I turn the brushes off or do I have to use them every time I clean the carpet?
Answer: the brushes will spin when the machine is in use, they do not turn off.
Question: To rinse off cleaning solution does the tank have to be dumped and only fresh water poured in to tank or are cleaning solution and water separate?
Answer: Only one tank, i usually use all the cleaner, then rinse.
Question: what is the cleaning width of this maching?
Answer: It is a little narrower than the vacuum cleaning width that I own. I think it is a typical width for an at home carpet cleaner. The machine works well for me and pulls up a lot of dirt from a shag carpet.
Question: Is this a combination shampooed and vacuum?
Answer: It’s only a shampooer and it’s a great one!
Does this cleaner work well on high pile or shag carpet?
Answer: Yes my carpet is shag and it works well. Pulls a lot of dirt up.
Question: Can you turn off the heat?
Answer: Just don’t add hot water to the tank.
Question: Do these components eventually rust like the Hoover cleaners?
Answer: No they do not, this is the second one i have bought, gave 1st one away, never had any rust.
Question: produce vapor
Answer: No this the worst nightmare buying this cleaner. The service is bad on warranty too.
Question: what is the weight of machine?
Answer: this cleaner weights about 20 pounds.
Question: Has anyone had this for multiple years of use? What’s the lifespan on these units?
Answer: I only had mines for a year and it is still working good
Question: Can you use it with cold water too?
Answer: I dont see why not, but it has a heater, but it will clean better with hot water
Question: Where does the hose go when vacuuming carpet?
Answer: There is a bracket on the back you wrap the hose around, like the power cord.
Question: Hello, may i use as daily vacuum for carpets ? or is a “cleaner” . i want something that i can use daily as vacuum and for deep cleaning also.
Answer: It is not a vacuum. It is to shampoo your carpets only.
Tags: bissell proheat essential vs proheat 2x, bissell proheat essential reviews, manual, how to use, troubleshooting